Sunday 4 March 2012

Protagonist and Antagonist

The next task should be about protagonist and antagonist. Well, there really are no good or bad guys in Our Town. The only division of people is in the third Act where there are two camps; the dead and alive. Still, they don't fight. 
Nevertheless, the main idea of the play is that LIFE holds us down and we cannot appreciate living our lives. Thus, we can say that LIFE limits our chances to be happy and fulfilled by every single moment. LIFE is the enemy of all people wishing to enjoy every day.
Does it make sense? I might have over-complicated it :D

5 comments:

  1. I understand what are you saying but I cannot agree with it. Actually, I am totally AGAINST the statement that „LIFE is the enemy of all people wishing to enjoy every day.“
    I think that LIFE is actually a huge opportunity that was given to us. And then it depends what WE decide what to do with it. Some of us are capable of appreciating every single moment of living and there are others who hate it so they commit a suicide. Probably, for such people life is the enemy and that´s why they try to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I disagree with that fearless statement, I really like the idea of LIFE being the antagonist!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, actually, the point of the story of Our Town is that you simply CANNOT (you are not capable) enjoy every single moment of your life while living it. Sure, this is just what the story says (I'm not quite sure if I totally agree with it) but it is (as much as I understood) what the author was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. I am not denying that it is a really interesting point of view which makes you think. However, I find it extremelly pessimistic and actually it scares me a lot. That´s maybe why I cannot accept it.

      Delete
  4. True indeed. It is painful to hear that. That's why you should do your best to enjoy your life as much as possible. Sure, that's what I took from it and would LOVE to put into practice. However, I find it extremely difficult... I cannot possibly do whatever I feel like. There are things I am expected and supposed to do that I might not enjoy... Life's difficult, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete