Friday 24 February 2012

Live your day as if it were your last one

If I were to say what the main theme of the story is, I would have to say it is life.
The First Act describes everyday life of people in Grover's Corners, the Second Act informs us how Emily and George got together and their marriage (also part of a human life). But the most compelling reason why I think the theme is Life is based on what I read in the Third Act. There are two groups of people--dead and alive. Emily dies and joins the dead. The author brings an interesting thought that we live our lives shallowly and we don't realize how we're wasting it until we're dead. When Emily returns to the day of her 12th birthday, she is disappointed and unhappy because she sees from distance that nobody appreciates the gift of life. She tries to tell her mother that she will be dead in 14 years and that she loves her but Mrs. Webb doesn't listen.
What do you think? Are we wasting our time and realize it when it's too late?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that we can never fulfill the moment completely, but that doesn't mean we are wasting our lives. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think we waste it but we definitely do not (using Emily's words) realize life while living it--every, every minute. In philosophy of the book, I guess we will really realize it when we die.
      Oh, I wish that my presentation of the play will leave the right effect on people... No, actually, I will be satisfied if I feel the power of the words :)

      Delete